They were weighed on the scales where they can actually stand up for the first time. That was actually exciting, although they were a bit scared.
Then came the measuring of their heads. This always upsets them. They hate to have their heads measured. I don't know why but they HATE it. Plus, the doctor always wants to remeasure their heads because the measurement came out big from the first person. The only thing that made them happy was that they each got their own sugar free sucker (mommy doesn't let them have suckers yet). They really enjoyed this.
So, they got their shots and about lost their minds, well really Irelyn did. She was inconsolable. This made it hard to even hear what the doctor was saying.
Anyway, on to the girls development. First, let me tell you that I am an extremely paranoid person. I worry that because the girls were preemies that things will be wrong. Awhile back we were told that Irelyn may not be able to hear (wrong, just excessive earwax). Then, the doctor was worried that the girls heads were measuring big (this could mean hydrocephalus with preemies). Now, their heads are still measuring big. They are still on the same curve. The doctor let me know that some research has shown that preemies, plus large heads, may lead to autism. Well, now I am freaked out. She said that she thinks they are just fine. She asked if they speak three words...ahhh yea they can say like 10 words....and they can go get things you ask for (book, ball, etc).....they know where their heads and nose are...and so on. Based on this their development appears to be just fine she said. Well, if that is the case....why did she mention this? Just another thing to worry about.
In other news, we should be trying to wean the bottle. More on that in a later post, but this is going to be extremely hard for Irelyn. Miley is now in the 75th percentile for weight and 90th percentile for height. Now bad for being on 3lb at birth! Irelyn is still little. Measuring in the 25th percentile in all areas- no surprise since so doesn't like to eat.
Cameron got to come during the appointment and I was ever so thankful. Today they have been fine, I think Miley is still not feeling well from the shots, but we have been okay otherwise.
Here are a few shots from the appointment.



4 comments:
Really, big heads? I don't see it at all. They sound like they are doing fantastic so I wouldn't worry Kelly. I know, hard not to do when a doc throws around the word autism. They are such cuties and I can't believe that they are 15 months old already!
I hate it when people say things like that to make you worry, when really there's no reason to worry. They look fabulous, Kelly, and you're doing an amazing job!
I think Doctor's just like to make us worry. The girls will be just fine, if you don't notice anything wrong then there probably isn't. Trust your instincts. We were Blessed with Miracle Babies and I Thank God everyday there are no complications :) I can't stop thinking about poor little Kayleigh, it just breaks my heart and makes me cherish my little man even more.
Hi Kelly,
I noticed that you are following my blog, and wanted to get to know you! Your girls are beautiful and you are very blessed :)
Nan
Post a Comment